Monday, June 29, 2009

Civility Or The Lack There Of

Somewhere between the hitching post and the internet we, as a society, seem to have forgotten a few basic tenants that our parents and grandparents were taught from childhood. The main one being civility.

When was the last time you heard a child say “yes ma’am or no ma’am or yes sir or no sir” to an adult? As old as I am, there are numerous times when I use ma’am or sir, to those considerably younger than me, just as a sign of respect.

We’ve all recently heard or read about the debacle with Barbara Boxer, when she virtually demanded that a General address her as Senator. Civility would have dictated that Ms. Boxer not even mention how she was addressed.

On the other side we have folks like Perez Hilton. He spews forth vitriol like Cheerios flowing from an upended box. Civility? Respect? Not in his barnyard. Hilton's stock in trade is to appeal to the lowest common denominators and there appear to be enough of them to fill a pig trough to overflowing.

Then, when one person takes umbrage at what is said and finally does something about it, well, you’d think they’d taken poor old Perez out and nailed him to a cactus. You could hear the squeals, whining and crying all over HimTube and the rest of the internet. How dare someone stoop so low as to touch a hair on the back of his head? Civilized people don’t do that, they settle their differences with words.

HORSE APPLES! When we were truly civilized, the likes of Perez Hilton wouldn’t have gotten past the first minute in his diatribe before there would have been a knock on the door, and someone would have shown him that when you defame there are consequences. In today’s genteel society it just took a little longer.

There are not many times when I long for days past. I really enjoy the internet, 250 channels on TV, not to mention the wide screen to watch them on. I do miss the muscle cars of the 50’s and 60’s.

I believe John Wayne summed it up best when he said: “I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." The Duke had it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment